Thursday 21 February 2013

5 things every student should do


Life at college is one one of the most beautiful but crucial phases of life, from minimal parental restrictions,assured pocket money,party life and to many books come last.Still this is the a stage that you can shape your dreams and aspirations.Unfortunately the rate of unemployment is soaring up and jobs are becoming scarce day.Sadly this is a situation that is here to stay,universities and colleges are blossoming at such a high rate and the few jobs available cannot cater for the number of graduates being shunned out every year.This is a practicable scenario of Darwin theory "struggle for the fittest" that those who get the few available jobs are the finest
So as a student
How can you fine-tune yourself to be the fittest?
How can you have that competitive advantage over the rest? 
How can you stand out?
Below are some of the ways of which I have personally tried most of them,and trust me they work

1.Establish your presence in the internet



 A blog can be a very nice ay to market yourself to potential employeers,it helps you to showcase your passion and potential. You can also contribute to other blogs especially if you have a tight timetable.Your social media accounts especially linked in should be 100% complete.Start a group/page about something that you love. Follow companies that you are intrested to work for and people that you share same traits with. A blog is free to start,it wont cost a penny only your time

2.Create connections
Participate in seminars and conferences,this a nice oportunity to interact with potential employeers.Srike conversations with c.e.o,managers and employees and during conversations inquire what it entails for one to work in those organizations.This will help you have an idea of how the corporate world works. Again use social media to your advantage by participating in online discussion.

3.Start your own company

 It should not be about 'I cant wait to complete my studies and get a job" rather it should be"I cant wait to start my own company". The beauty of starting your own company as a student you have a room to fail and so many people are willing to help you if you truly believe in your ideas. I am a glad I am part of social edge africa a Social edge Africa which is behind the establishment of SocialPROclubs

4.Voluntary
When you volunter to do something it doesn't only show that you are committed and passionate about something but that you also care about others.It helps you bring out your personality and character.  However the secret about voluntary is that you should volunteer to an activity that is in line with your career because will improve your knowledge about your career field.

5.Brand yourself



 Why does muiltinationals like coca-cola maintain their market share?? above all things they have a strong brand where they spend million of shillings to maitain it.Likewise ensure that you have a strong personal brand,know whoyou are,what you want to achieve in life and how to achieve it.Basically develop your  personal brand and let people know about it.This will enable potential employers understand you,your strengths and weakness easily.My next article will be about Personal branding.
 Lets keep the conversation @nairobiguruh

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A great piece bro..Thanks

Unknown said...

Great piece bro..

Anonymous said...

Greеtіngѕ fгom Florіda! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you present here and can't ωаіt to takе a loοk when I get home.
І'm surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm nοt even usіng WΙFI, juѕt
3G .. Anуhow, fantastic blog!

Look іnto my homeρagе criar pagina facebook para site

hellen said...


3.Starting your own company should not be about 'I cant wait to complete my studies and get a job" rather it should be"I cant wait to start my own company". that way you are far away from being lazy